Today my application went live. After a failed submission and 7 more days of waiting for certification, my application is live on the WP7 marketplace.
This application is an RSS reader for the major Greek sport sites. It was a really nice experience seeing this application start from file -> new project and now seeing it on the marketplace.
Here are some screenshots of the application.
If you are interested in sport-related news and/or you can read Greek and have a WP7 give it a try and let me know what you think.
Something small, but inherently useful to know. When you use the WebBrowser control in WP7 you don’t get the same behavior when browsing. An example that came up during the development of my application is shown below:
The left screenshot is from the native internet explorer while the one on the right is from a sample application I made to test the control. I could not understand what was happening and ended up spending a whole afternoon debugging the network traffic with Fiddler (very useful tool btw). *
The problem was that by default the WebBrowser Control had Scripting disabled. Easy enough you will say; just use the easy to find webBrowser.IsScriptEnabled property. There is a catch here though. Let me quote MSDN:
Enables or disables scripting. This applies to the next document that is navigated to, not the current document. This property is false by default. Set this property to true to enable scripting, or false to disable scripting.
So beware to set WebBrowser.IsScriptEnabled to true before navigating to the page. Any subsequent navigation retains this value, so you have to manually set it to false if you don’t want scripting in other pages.
PS. If you want to make Fiddler work with the WP7 Emulator see this post.
For the last month or so I have been developing an application for my windows phone, that I am going to publish to the marketplace in the coming week(s). As I am getting ready to make the final build I have started searching the certification requirements and good practices. One that I had missed was the advice to use as few capabilities as needed in the WMApplicationManifest.xml
Fortunately Microsoft is distributing a nice tool with the Windows Phone SDK that performs the task of finding the capabilities that your application is using. The problem is that this is a console application that lives inside the C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft SDKsWindows Phonev7.0ToolsCapDetect folder (for those having x64 machines). It also requires 2 arguments to invoke, one of which is an xml located at the same directory.
Tired of having to execute the following command each time:
"C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft SDKsWindows Phonev7.0ToolsCapDetectCapabilityDetection.exe"
"C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft SDKsWindows Phonev7.0ToolsCapDetectRules.xml"
I decided to make a shortcut for myself from inside visual studio 2010. The process of doing this is extremely easy and I wonder why Microsoft did not put it there in the first place.
Use this configuration
The two lines that do not show well in the photo should be:
Command: C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft SDKsWindows Phonev7.0ToolsCapDetectCapabilityDetection.exe
Arguments: "C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft SDKsWindows Phonev7.0ToolsCapDetectRules.xml" $(BinDir)
When this is done, you can now invoke the tool from tools->Capability Detection or whatever name you gave it. The result is much better and easier to get to: